Are you new to self storage? Need some extra space but do not know where to start?
The guide below will take you through the self storage process in as little as 4 simple steps.
The last few things you need to do before moving in.
Signing your contract
- Before you move into your unit, you'll need to sign a contract. It will only take about 15 to 30 minutes. Just make sure you arrive during Office Hours.
- Please bring a valid photo ID with you (e.g. your driving licence, ID or passport).
- For your benefit and protection, insurance for your stored items is required.
A convenient and affordable way to get the insurance coverage you need is through Marsh — a customised insurance policy created specifically for Shurgard customers.
Accessing your unit
- After signing your contract, the store manager will give you your unique pin code. This is your personal number to enter our storage facility and open the electronic security gate.
- You can visit your storage unit any time during the specified Access Hours. We’re open seven days a week, 365 days per year.
- Take a look at store details on the website to check your store’s Office Hours and Access Hours, as these can vary by location.
Loading your unit
- Ask your store manager to show you our trolleys. They’re free to use and will save you time and energy when moving items in and out of your unit.
- In fact, you can talk to your store manager any time. They're real storage experts and it's their goal to help you get the most out of your unit.
- For more helpful ideas and a practical list of everything you'd ever want to know about storage, take a look at our self storage tips.
Get started by finding a store near you and check out our competitive prices